From:
"Click, Benjamin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 2013 14:45:22 -0400
Our College president, Joe Urgo, is a Cather scholar.  I sent the link to
him.  Here's his response:

The piece was written while she was a student at the University of
Nebraska-Lincoln, where she earned the title of “meat-axe” for her theatre
and opera criticism on shows passing through Lincoln. She was staking
claims for sophistication, positioning herself to get a job on the east
coast (which she did). Anyway, this is her adolescent voice in full force.

By the way, if any of you are in the Southern Maryland region this *Saturday
night, April 20, 7:30PM, JOHN HODGMAN of the Daily Show* will deliver the
annual Mark Twain Lecture on American Humor and Culture, a part of a
program I run called the Twain Series.  Here's a link to the homepage:
http://www.smcm.edu/twain/

Cheers,

Ben

--