From:
Andrew Beahrs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Feb 2012 13:33:46 -0800
I don't have a recipe, but Frank Marryat mentions Stone Fence on p. 28
of "Mountains and Molehills" (along with "Sulky Sangarees" and a few
others) so people were drinking something by that name in San
Francisco in 1850 or '51.  Based on the inclusion of Earthquakes and
Santa Cruz Punch, I wonder if Twain was riffing on drinks he'd had in
SF.  Let us know what you find!