From:
LEONARDJ@CITADEL
Date:
Thu, 3 Dec 1992 19:31:56 FULL
Shelley Fisher Fishkin and I are working up a proposal for a session on
teaching the racial context of HUCKLEBERRY FINN, to be presented at the NCTE
convention in Pittsburgh, Nov. 19-22, 1993.  I will chair the session,
Shelley
will give a paper (perhaps something involving her now-famous friend
"Sociable
Jimmy"), and David Smith (who authored a much-praised essay for SATIRE OR
EVASION?) will give a second paper (probably on black responses to HF).  We
still need a third paper; since there's been a lot of Forum conversation
related to this subject recently, I wondered whether anyone would like to
propose something.  If so, I'll need to hear from you quickly.

Jim Leonard