From:
Taylor Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 1993 18:37:46 PST
     I've just written a squib for the Brockville (Ontario)
Museum's _Monitor_ concerning Twain and Cable's 1885 visit to
that city, and the _Monitor_ is looking for a photo of Twain
and Cable.  The best one I can think of is the one that
everybody uses: the promotional photo of Twain and Cable that
appears in every MT biography, e.g., in Kaplan's _Mr. Clemens
and MT_, and more recently in the biographies by Guy Cardwell
and John Lauber.

     I have a couple of questions, and I'd be happy for
anyone's advice.  First, I'm tempted to ask again if anyone
knows of other good Twain-Cable photos, besides the one from
January 1885 that also includes some of Twain's relatives in
Quincy, Illinois (Milton Meltzer, _MT Himself_, p. 188)?  I
asked this a few weeks ago but received no replies.

     Second, are there any restrictions on the omnipresent
Twain-Cable photo, or can it be reprinted without hassle?
Also, what's the best source for a print of this photo?  Most
books credit the New York Historical Society, though Guy
Cardwell's _The Man Who Was Mark Twain_ (1991) identifies the
source as the MT Memorial in Hartford.  And when I visited the
MT Museum in Hannibal, _they_ claimed to have the "official"
1884 Twain-Cable photo.

     As everyone seems to use this photo in their books and
articles, probably some of you have been in the same position
as me.  I'd be really glad to have your advice, as I just want
to get a print with minimal hassle, if possible.

     Thanks for any help!

Taylor Roberts
Univ. of British Columbia