From:
Wolfgang Hochbruck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2022 23:10:42 +0100
I would have surmised it was included in Andreas Austilat's 2013
edition _A Tramp in Berlin_, but not only is the essay itself not
there, i can't even find a mention of it in the volume.

best

On Wed, 5 Jan 2022 12:21:04 -0800
 Scott Holmes <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>I recently came across a reference to an essay by Mark Twain entitled
>"Postal Service".  This was in a series of essays written by David
>Graeber included in a book entitled "The Utopia of Rules".  He
>remarked "Mark Twain, who lived briefly in Berlin between 1891 and
>1892, was so taken with it that he composed one of his only known
>non-satirical essays, entitled “Postal Service,” just to celebrate its
>wondrous efficiency.".  This was in reference to the German postal
>system.  I have been unable to locate this essay by Twain.
>
>I'm casting about for interesting bits about Twain's dealing with
>bureaucracies.  I know there are far too many of them to deal with
>this comprehensively but I do hope to catch the flavor.

Prof. Dr. Wolfgang Hochbruck
Dept. of English
Centre for Security and Society
Albert Ludwigs University Freiburg