From:
Mark Coburn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jun 2006 08:14:18 -0600
Terrell Dempsey wrote:

I think in general a lot of confusion could be avoided by  citing to primary
sources instead of "authorities."  Dr. Dutcher's dilemma is precisely what
happens when people rely on authorities. Authors repeat errors and footnote
to the authority they relied on.

Oh, do I ever agree!

My favorite idiotic Twainian example apparently traces all the way back to
Paine's biography.  In his chapter on Personal  Recollections of Joan of
Arc, Paine wrote, "It was the only book of all he had written that Mark
Twain considered worthy of this dedication:
1870        To My Wife            1895
                This book
is tendered on our wedding anniversary in grateful
recognition of her twenty-five years of valued
service as my literary adviser and editor.
                                    The Author "

In fairness, Paine doesn't q-u-i-t-e say, "this is the only book Clemens
dedicated to Olivia."  But that is surely the most obvious reading. . . .
And that bit of goop has marched its teary way down the decades.  I've met
it in at least three  reputable books on Twain, and you can easily find it
on the web.

Now, the research in "primary sources" necessary to disprove that twaddle is
actually not terribly difficult.  One might even undertake it without an
advanced degree.  Here's what you do:
1.  Go find yourself a copy of a reasonably well known  Twain book titled
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.  (I am using "The Oxford Mark Twain," but any
half-way decent  edition will do.)
2.  Turn to the title page.  You will find it very near the beginning of the
volume.
3.  Holding either the edge or a corner of the title page gently but firmly
in your right hand, turn it over.
4.  On one of the two pages now facing you, you should find a brief
dedication.  (In the Oxford edition, it is on the right-hand page.)
5.  Read it.

Mark Coburn