Sender:
Mark Twain Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jan 2021 13:54:17 +0000
From:
Hal Bush <[log in to unmask]>
Barbara, that is a very kind remark; I do think there is something very foul going on in the heavy mixing of religious belief and conspiracy theory right now in particular. QAnon is still not as widely known let alone understood by many Americans; but everyone on the Mall Wednesday knows about Q and many of them are firm believers. Many were wearing Q shirts, by the way.  I am currently being consumed by some of these topics, partly I guess because of their pressing if not catalclysmic ramifications. We got real problems, in other words, and I'm running around trying to figure it out a little.

Someone mentioned TR: and in fact the "masculine Christianity" theme arose in the second half of C19, with Teddy as a prominent poster boy. There are some intriguing connections between TR and DT; partly some conspiracy claims, mainly in the toxic masculinity that MT railed against.  But compared to MT's days, it's all on steroids right now, and the digital realms are partially to blame, I guess. One recent, brilliant book that ties some of these themes together that I would highly recommend is Kristin Kobes Du Mez' Jesus and John Wayne. This book is quite amazing on the gender issues at the heart of what is happening, and she begins with c19 and the toxic masculinity of the likes of TR, Billy Sunday, et al...

https://kristindumez.com/books/jesus-and-john-wayne/
Jesus and John Wayne: How White Evangelicals Corrupted a Faith and Fractured a Nation - Kristin Kobes Du Mez - Kristin Kobes Du Mez PhD - Historian, Writer, Speaker<https://kristindumez.com/books/jesus-and-john-wayne/>
“Jesus and John Wayne demolishes the myth that Christian nationalists simply held their noses to form a pragmatic alliance with Donald Trump. With brilliant analysis and detailed scholarship, Kristin Kobes Du Mez shows how conservative evangelical leaders have promoted the authoritarian, patriarchal values that have achieved their finest representative in Trump.
kristindumez.com

Dr. Hal Bush

Professor of English &

Director of the Undergraduate Program