From:
Harold Bush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Aug 2009 11:44:12 -0500
Folks;  another item I wish to share:

I have been reading this impressive, epic-type novel by Wally Lamb, title
above.  it is wide-ranging, about some folks caught up in the Columbine
tragedy of 1999.  The accounts of the events, and of PTSS of survivors, are
quite amazing.

Anyhoo -- THE HOUR I FIRST BELIEVED might be of interest to the LIST due to
its interesting depictions of a lengthy dinner party at Twain's house on
Farmington Ave., and the friendship of a character with Joe Twichell.  The
book cites the Twichell Civil War Letters of Courtney & Messent and also has
scenes in Bushnell Park, among other things.  Much of the action is in
present day Connecticut but the main character's family has members involved
with these historic figures.

I have a few qualms about Lamb's coverage of Twain and Twichell and would
certainly be interested in anyone else's opinion, who has read this novel.
(if you have not read it, then your opinion is of somewhat less interest to
me)

PS--at one point in the dinner party scene, Twain springs up, runs childlike
to the piano ("Oh, YOUTH!) , and starts singing "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot."
I love the song ... but ... Would Twain have done this during a formal
dinner???  seems wrong to me.

Harold K. Bush, Ph.D
Saint Louis University