From:
"Carl J. Chimi" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Dec 2016 16:45:05 -0500
,,,,,,,,,,,Maybe it's just me, but I've always thought that Hal Holbrook's
Mark Twain, while one of the most wonderful stage creations of my lifetime,
smacked of "fictional".  (I leave out "uncomfortably inappropriate" because
I don't think that phrase remotely applies to Holbrook's presentation.

But Holbrook has consistently presented a Mark Twain on stage who, unless I
am badly mistaken, is quite a bit older than any Mark Twain Samuel Clemens
ever presented on a stage for a paying audience.  Holbrook presents the
fiction that - once again, unless I am mistaken - the much older, white
suited Mark Twain ever lectured for pay.  I don't think he did.  I think he
was pretty much out of the lecture business years before he ever adopted the
white suit and before he took on the appearance of age that  Holbrook has
always presented.

Personally, I've always wished for a Mark Twain who is not the white-haired
old philosopher, but rather the guy in his 30s and 40s who was learning to
enthrall and captivate audiences with his stories, manners, and killer
instincts.  I've always found the young Mark Twain much more interesting
than the old Mark Twain.

That's not a slam against Hal Holbrook, whose creation is a masterful piece
of theater I've enjoyed in person at least three times since 1972 or so.
And it's not a slam against Kilmer, whose Twain (from what I've seen of it
on YouTube) probably needs to age and mature as an act of theater.  But both
are "fictional" in that they present a Mark Twain who never really was.

But it's theater!  So what am I talking about?  It's like not expecting an
autobiography to be fictional.

Regards,

Carl