From:
randy abel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 5 Jul 2008 20:41:07 -0700
I originally wrote this response to the piece as a blog at
VeteransforCommonSense.org:

"The Seriously Funny Man"- Mark Twain on Patriotism, Dissent

Time's July 4th article barely scratches the surface of the veneer of the facade of the antique dressing blind that obscures the real Mark Twain from the mainstream consciousness of his homeland. But at least he's in the
cultural mix during this Independence weekend, and a few quotes from 93The Seriously Funny Man” hint at the iconoclast Twain, the Samuel Clemens we all should have been introduced to in eighth-grade Civics class:
"A discriminating irreverence," [Twain] wrote, "is the creator and protector of human liberty." A0
[Twain's humor] was attractive to anyone who valued plain speaking and the kind of deadly wit that could cut through the cant and hypocrisy surrounding any topic, no matter how sensitive: war, sex, religion, even race.

Now more than ever, Americans should understand why Clemens' work as a social critic consumed  his later years, as he watched the nation become increasingly sheep-like on the homefront and outright imperialistic abroad. The most comprehensive research on this aspect of Twain's legacy was undertaken by the American Studies scholar Jim Zwick, whose recently-published book, Confronting Imperialism: Essays on Mark Twain and the Anti-Imperialist League, sheds much-needed light on the timeless relevance of the author's reflections:
The U.S. military's use of waterboarding began during the Philippine-American War. Euphemistically called the "water cure," it was said to be a form of torture the U.S. military "inherited" from the Spanish. They had used it