From:
Kevin Mac Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2012 08:34:18 -0500
Twain was widely and well-read in several branches of science. He read
Darwin and reviewed a book on early man in 1871 (Figuier's PRIMITIVE MAN),
which he annotated in ways that indicate a close reading. He owned several
books on astronomy -- Martin's FRIENDLY STARS, Proctor's NEW STAR ALTAS
(with sky charts), and SIDE-LIGHTS ON ASTRONOMY by Newcomb, which he gave to
a family member (the chapter about Father Hell whose discarded theories were
proven true centuries later caught his interest). This also brings to mind
his use of eclipses in CtY, TSA, FTE, Mysterious Stranger, Autobiography,
and Christian Science and the setting for Capt Stormfield. He gave at least
four books about birds to his daughters, and he owned at least four books
about the social lives of wasps and ants. He also owned Clodd's STORY OF
CREATION, Dirck's LIFE, TIMES & SCIENTIFIC LABOURS, and Gatty's PARABLES
FROM NATURE.  I own all of the books I've mentioned but I'm sure I've
forgotten some others. Alan Gribben records many more, and the new edition
of his book will doubtless increase that number.

Twain also read most of the magazines in which he published -- Harper's
Monthly and Weekly, North American Review, Century, etc. These mags often
included stories on science, especially Harper's Weekly, which ran frequent
in-depth stories on the latest scientific advances. Proving beyond a
reasonable doubt that Twain read any specific article is not easy, but he
mentions his magazine readings in passing in his letters and sometimes wrote
letters to the editor or longer pieces in direct response to something he
read in a magazine.

So, Twain was conversant in evolution, astronomy, birds, and bugs--but he
could talk about other things too.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books