Sender:
From:
Robert Hirst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 09:00:37 -0800
Marc,

I'm looking at a Xerox of a "certificate in lieu of discharge" for Bixby
issued on 12 April 1900 because Bixby had lost his original certificate in
a fire. Basically, it says he enlisted in the Navy on or about the 25th day
of October 1861 at St. Louis, as pilot on the gunboat Benton, and was
appointed pilot by Commodore Foote at Cairo. Also that he tendered his
resignation which was accepted by Commodore Davis on or about the 29th day
of August 1862 at Helena, Arkansas. If that's the kind of information you
need, I can duplicate this and send you the copy. In the same folder are
several articles about Bixby, reminiscing in part about his Civil War
service. Now I realize all this is about the War of Rebellion, not the War
of Northern Aggression, so it may not be of any use to you. Let me know.

Bob Hirst