From:
Mark Coburn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Apr 1998 12:47:01 -0600
Barb,

I'm nearly sure that no photographs of the Twain and Grant together were
taken at the 1879 army reunion in Chicago.  Twain's letters to Livy
describe his doings there almost hour by hour, and certainly he mentions
no photo session.

Vol. II of Twain's Notebooks and Journals indicates many events and
meetings involving the two of them in 1880 and later, but still before
Twain's major involvement with Grant in the general's last year.  One of
your best bets might be Grant's visit to Connecticut when campaigning
for Garfield in 1880.  Twain introduced him.

Later, the Notebooks and Journals suggest more than one get together in
Grant's New York office.

Have you tried this one?--Thomas M. Pitkin, The Captain Departs: Ulysses
S. Grant's last campaign  Carbondale, Southern Illinois University Press
, 1973,

There OUGHT to be such a photo!  Yet I honestly can't recall ever seeing
one.  If someone knows of one, please answer on the Forum or send me a
copy of your reply to Barb.

Good luck.

Mark Coburn