From:
Barbara Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jul 2023 07:32:36 -0500
Bob is right.  Historical newspapers discuss the sucking cane activities.
An article in the Boston GLOBE dated Oct. 25, 1891 mentions the invention
of the "prohibition cane" that holds a quart of whiskey. "The cane empties
easily by suction ... and if the traveller in prohibition districts sees
half the male population sucking cane heads he must not size them up for
noodles. They are simply partaking of refreshments."

Barb