From:
John Bird <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 2002 11:59:57 -0500
Hmmm...so we're supposed to praise a documentary, even if it is greatly
flawed; accept a biography, even if it is an inaccurate and sensationalist
distortion; and praise an awards show, even if it has nothing whatsoever to
do with the person whose name it co-opts?  Just because Mark Twain appeals
to the masses, those of us who really know something about him are supposed
to check our opinions (and perhaps our brains) at the door?

I'm not a wine connoisseur, but I know the difference between a good Merlot
and a bottle of Ripple.  And if I reasonably articulate the differences, I
don't think I am "bad-mouthing."  We owe nothing less to the legacy of Mark
Twain than to make rational discriminations.