Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 14:16:25 -0800
From: Gregg Camfield <[log in to unmask]>
Sender: Mark Twain Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Comments: To: [log in to unmask]
Yes, you're wrong.  Remember that Huck is marginally literate.  The
"the" before nigger tells us that he meant to write "the nigger, Jim."
Context matters, especially when trying to decide how many angels can
dance on the head of a pin.

Gregg

As I understand the issue, the argument is not about whether Twain
named =
Jim "Nigger Jim" but whether he referred to him as "nigger Jim."  My =
reference in the bio is to "nigger Jim." And the question is whether or
=
not that is an accurate quotation. The Mac Donnell & the Fisher claim
=
seems to be that Twain never referred to Jim as "nigger Jim." Clearly
he =
did. Am I wrong about this?