Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 1995 19:33:06 -0500
Hello.  From a discussion I had several years ago with a friend, I
remember him telling me about Mark Twain's view on miscegenation and race
mixing.  Our discussion went something like this:

"Thomas Jefferson believed that mixing blacks and whites would tend to
improve the Negro race.  Mark Twain believed that miscegenation would
tend to improve whites."

While I've been able to pin down specific references to this in the
writings of Jefferson, I've been unable to find Twain references to
racial amalgamation.

Can anyone point me to Twain's quotations on the mixing of races?  I
would very much appreciate it.

Thanks,

Richard Hess