From:
Martin Zehr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2017 16:52:31 -0500
Sam's only contact with western and northwestern Missouri, the home
territory of James, was in 1861, when he and Orion took a boat up the
Missouri, got off at St. Joseph, and headed west by coach along the
then-new Pony Express route.  By the time James became famous, as a
"bushwacker" during the war and outlaw afterward, Clemens had transformed
to Twain and was long gone.  Opie Read's stories seem to be largely
imagined anecdotes.
Martin Zehr