Date:
Thu, 12 Jan 1995 18:48:01 EST
I would appreciate your posting this to the Twain discussion group. I am not hav
   ing much success.

Taylor,
Just what is your definition of "Political Correctness"?   I refuse to
be swept under that all purpose rug.  I would, though, like to know what your de
   finition of the term
is.  I agree that my contribution to Mark Twain's Humor does not immediately add
   ress the title
topic, yet I think that Sloane was trying to chart a path for new Twain scholars
   hip in addition to
recognizing past contributions.  I'd also appreciate being filled in on what you
    mean by stating
that my essay was "an attempt to touch all the bases"; just whose bases am I tou
   ching?  All I've
done in my essay is touch upon the stunningly obvious--the dearth of female Twai
biographers/scholars and the lack of scholarly attention to the interaction Twai
   n had with the
female members of his family and professional female colleagues.  If there was p
   altry evidence of
this, then I might accept the "political correctness" brush-off. But since Twain
    corresponded with
over 100 powerful, professional women writers, reformers, educators, journalists
    I think this is an
important area of his life and career not yet addressed in scholarship. Hmmmmm?
 Laura Skandera-Trombley