From:
Robert Lai <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jun 2020 01:22:30 +0000
A realization from researching Mark Twain is our collective memory of him says more about us as a society than the man. His original attitude towards slavery and African Americans were not out of personal choice. He did more for their cause than the vast majority of his contemporaries, but it’s a legitimate question if he was really able to shed latent prejudices about African Americans in general. I read the Lyon-Ashcroft Manuscript...Ralph Ashcroft, the business manger who evidently bragged around town he could legally take all of Clemens’ assets, was “the laziest white man” which blew my mind. I get that this was in response to him giving interviews on the New York Times that were clearly lies and he had learned they’d had conspired to keep his youngest daughter Jean away to isolate him, and more. He had reasons to be angry and it wasn’t meant to be made public. Clemens had a strategic use in mind for it, but...wow.

The best evidence of his “sound heart” is in his defense of the Chinese, which as you said he did in a number of news articles in San Francisco and later, as arguably one of the world’s most famous men, spoke out publicly against American imperialism. He did this at great personal risk in his early days as a nobody in San Francisco and, even after his triumphant return in 1900, he faced backlash for speaking out.

An interesting question would be what if the Paige Typesetter had been a success, and Charles Webster and Co. never went under, and he became a zillionaire and Susy never died? Would he have taken a public stand in controversial issues?

An Indian scholar was in the US on a Fulbright to see if she could answer why Clemens never spoke out against British imperialism in India. He did so for other places, but not for India, despite saying it was the only place he still dreams about and longs to return. I have a theory, which I’ll incorporate into my thesis.

This is a great group. Thanks for your input, Matthew!

Robert