From:
David Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Apr 2009 13:59:56 -0400
[Via American Libraries (ALA) Some of these runs - on highly acidic
pulp, etc. - are extremely rare.  /DDD ]

Mark Twain in magazines
<http://link.ixs1.net/s/lt?id=g8737308&si=j162799749&pc=q2092&ei=6350210

Steven Lomazow writes: "Having just acquired an extremely rare
periodical that contains 12 early Mark Twain appearances, it is an
excellent time to present a short treatise about the magazine
appearances of America's foremost humorist. I believe that my collection
now contains the best representation of Twain periodicals in private
hands. Twain's first appearance was way back when he was 16, in Benjamin
Shillaber's Carpet Bag in 1852. His original work was published in
magazines 178 times in a few dozen different publications, some
posthumously. Most notable is the earliest excerpt of Huckleberry Finn
in December 1884 in The Century."...

Magazine History: A Collector's Blog, Mar. 26