From:
Ted Magnuson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jun 1996 11:15:25 -0700
As I read HUCK FINN  to my nine year old son, it became apparent to me again
about chapter five that the word "nigger" is used frequently in this text.
While this word used in the context of the setting of the story and the date
of publication (respectively 1830-40 in The American South and 1883), does
accurately describe the indigation suffered by a group of people, I have
come to the conclusion that if Mark Twain were to tell the same story again
today, he wouldn't need so much "ammunition"
to prove his point.  In fact, in reading to my son, I substituted the word
"slave" in for most appearences of the word "nigger."  Yes, MT gets some
flack TODAY for his observations of the world around him and surely progress
does call for much (especially the bad, and the foolish) to be forgtten.
I'm wondering if there examples to be cited that show HF (in its day) was
instrumental in "raising the conscience" of the public as to the condition
of the black man in the South?  The author has shined a light on the evil
within human nature.  So in remembering, we commit ourselves to opposing
those same pitfalls today.

Ted Magnuson
Portland, Oregon USA