From:
Peter Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Aug 2021 01:25:46 -0700
Thanks, Scott, for your notes regarding Sam's First Journey.
To everyone else, I am writing two books about these early years, a project
that began after I heard a talk given by Robert Hirst, the curator of the
Mark Twain Papers at the Bancroft Library of the University of California
on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of the death of Mark Twain (1910).
In that talk, Mr. Hirst let it be known that Mark Twain made sure that his
full story would not be told for 100 years after his death- and I wondered
why!
     ...and so I started my research, and got some major clues from the
important events of his early life- that he didn't write about. And the
circumstantial evidence kept piling up that supported the fact that Sam was
involved in something rather remarkable during that period (See FYI at the
end).
      I won't tell what it was that was so special, for now, for two
reasons:
     One, because I don't want conformational bias to color what I now
seek- anecdotal stories about where Sam went, and who Sam met during those
years.
    The work that Scott has been doing has helped provide the framework,
but
 I seek stories!
     Two- Announcing it now would spoil the drama.
     So, please, if anyone has a story- of Sam meeting unusual people, or
doing unusual things that he didn't write about from 1850 to 1868, please
share!
 FYI- a solid proof escaped me- until I started to go through the older MT
Forum archives, and read one of the books that was referenced.....
    Thanks
     Peter Clark
     (I get the forum on Sunday nights for the week, so I may not respond
immediately.)
 Thanks!!!!!

--
Life is good.