From:
Clay Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Clay Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Feb 2017 02:11:50 +0000
That "So-and-so must have too much time on his hands" statement always seems to me snarky and specious, if not kind of mean-spirited, in a passive-aggressive way. Was Twain only able to write Huck Finn because of having too much time in his hands? Did Artie Shaw become a great clarinet player because he found himself with no other possible uses of his time than to sit in his room and practice? Is it so that Michael Jordan became a magician of the basketball court due to having nothing else better to do? Fill in the rest of the questions with medical discoveries, geological explorations, etc. etc. ad infinitum ad nauseum.
"So-and-so must have too much time on their hands" is a too-glib brush-off of the value of any endeavor which obviously took a large amount of time to accomplish. The underlying message seems to be, "Don't do anything out of the ordinary; just sit on the couch and watch soaps, that way nobody will notice you."
Enough ranting, I guess; but that phrase is a pet peeve of mine. - B. Clay Shannon