From:
David Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Mar 2009 11:11:30 -0400
Interesting question. He wrote about various fictional native Americans,
certainly. Someone may have made a list or written a thesis. (For these
purposes, I would say Roughing It was fictionalized.)

But, whom did he encounter in the first person, what did he say about
that? Hmmm. I had formed the notion that he harbored a bias against
Indians. Possibly placing the indigenous inhabitants of North America
above the French, in his estimation, but not much higher. ;-)

But data would surely help this understanding.

DDD