Martin Zehr <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 19 Nov 2014 17:28:26 -0600
In my Twain files, if memory serves, there is a published article, circa
1995, by David Sattlemeyer, again if I recall correctly, on the subject of
a young Sam Clemens's duping of an eastern abolitionist organization.
According to the article, Sam *may *have received the sum of fifty dollars
from the abolitionist outfit.  I do recall that the author was careful not
to state such a conclusion as an established fact, but did note the person
named Clements, in the St. Louis area, as the recipient, according to the
records of the organization, as well as the fact that, at the time, there
were not many, if any others, with the name in the St. Louis directory.
Also note that, at the time of the Pennsylvania disaster on the river, in
1859, Henry Clemens was listed in a published newspaper account under the
name Clements. A very interesting piece of Clemens/Twain speculation, even
assuming that its link to the Clemens who's the focus of our attention is
speculative.

Martin Zehr
Kansas City, Missouri