From:
Sean Dail <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jun 1996 20:49:02 +0000
Basically, I agree with Duane's position.  But we would all do well not to
damage our credibility with snide comments about the "approved jargon...
[of the]week" and allegations of hypocrisy.  It's not so much hypocrisy as
it
is hypersensitiviy (spelled with a "y"), and there is a difference.
We will never win this battle by name-calling and belittling; that only
makes it
worse.  People must be encouraged to read Huck Finn and to experience
the message of the book in order to overcome that gut reaction to the
use of the word "nigger."

Sean Dail
Raleigh, NC