Date:
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 13:07:36 -0600
At the risk of shameless self-promotion, I would
like to let LIST-folk know that my essay on Twain's
elegies for Susy, which contains some theoretical
materials on Freudian greif theory, as well as my
extensive critique of old Sigmund, has now
appeared in the latest issue of "Nineteenth-
Century Literature, " Fasll 2002, pp. 237-68.  A
couple of reasons to announce this to the list:

1.  The article contains in the appendix the first
complete publication of "Broken Idols" ever.  This
powerful and moving elegy was written by Twain
on the two-year anniversary of Susy's death in
August 1898.  My thanks to Robert Hirst for his
typical herculean efforts in helping me edit this
poem for press.

2.  I am quite interested in hearing some feedback
from folks on the LIST, as this essay does
question some fairly standard interpretations of
Mark Twain, his experience of grief, and his uses
of Christianity and sentimental modes.  Thus I
would like to hear what the experts think of my
thesis.

3.  I intend to expand this essay into the final
chapter of my book on Twain and religion, which
may even get published one of these days (!!), so
whatever I might have gotten wrong will at least
have the chance to come out right later!

best wishes to all, --Hal Bush