From:
Ellen Garvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2013 23:46:37 -0500
*Extended Deadline for
/Transformations: /**/The Journal of Inclusive Scholarship and Pedagogy/
special issue

TEACHING POPULAR CULTURE

CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS

*The editors of /Transformations/ seek submissions that explore popular
culture from all pedagogical contexts and interdisciplinary
perspectives. We accept *articles* (5,000-10,000 words), *media essays*
(overviews on books, film, video, performance, art, music, websites,
etc. 3,000 to 5,000 words) and* items for an occasional feature, "The
Material Culture of Teaching." */Note extended deadline: Submissions for
this special issue on Teaching Popular Culture are now due Feb. 15,
2013. /We welcome jargon-free submissions that explore strategies for
teaching about popular culture in the classroom and in non-traditional
spaces (such as the media, museums, and in public discourse).

*/Transformations/ publishes only essays that focus on teaching.*

For submission guidelines, please go to
http://web.njcu.edu/sites/transformations/Content/default.asp
<https://webmail.exchange.njcu.edu/owa/redir.aspx?C=7f7a69afa69a4a3298abff14647e4b3b&URL=http%3a%2f%2fweb.njcu.edu%2fsites%2ftransformations%2fContent%2fdefault.asp>

Send submissions or inquiries in MLA format (7th ed.) as attachments in
MS Word or Rich Text format to: Jacqueline Ellis and Ellen Gruber
Garvey, Editors, [log in to unmask]
<https://webmail.exchange.njcu.edu/owa/redir.aspx?C=7f7a69afa69a4a3298abff14647e4b3b&URL=mailto%3atransformations%40njcu.edu>

Author(s) name and contact information
should be included on a SEPARATE page.
For submission guidelines go to
http://web.njcu.edu/sites/transformations/Content/default.asp
<https://webmail.exchange.njcu.edu/owa/redir.aspx?C=7f7a69afa69a4a3298abff14647e4b3b&URL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.njcu.edu%2fassoc%2ftransformations>

Possible topics for articles:

    * Defining popular culture
    * Popular culture as a pedagogical tool
    * Popular culture and technology
    * History and popular culture
    * Popular culture, memory, and nostalgia
    * Media literacy
    * Representations of race, class, and gender in popular culture
    * Popular culture in K-12 classrooms
    * Popular culture and the corporatization of education
    * Subculture, handmade culture, independent culture
    * Popular culture and sexuality
    * Erasures and omissions in popular culture
    * Popular culture and "normality"
    * Reading popular culture
    * Fandom and style
    * Controversies in popular culture: pornography, violence
    * Popular culture in national, transnational, and global contexts
    * Consumption of popular culture, reading and using popular culture

Past issues of /Transformations/ include: Teaching Feelings, Teaching
Digital Media, Teaching Sex, Teaching Earth, Teaching Nation, and
Teaching Performance. We encourage you to familiarize yourself with the
journal before submitting. Please visit our website to order previous
issues.

Please share this cfp widely.

Ellen Gruber Garvey, Ph.D.
Professor, Department of English, New Jersey City University
Co-editor, /Transformations: The Journal of Inclusive Pedagogy and
Scholarship

/Author, /Writing with Scissors: American Scrapbooks from the Civil War
to the Harlem Renaissance
/
<http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/LiteratureEnglish/?view=usa&ci=9780199927692>Visit
the Scrapbook History website <http://scrapbookhistory.wordpress.com/>