Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2006 14:11:50 +0200
Dear Group:
One of the first stories ever related to me concerning Mark Twain's family
had to do with  hiring a wet nurse for Susan as Livy couldn't breast-feed.
They wondered why the baby, formerly so restless and crying, was suddenly
sleeping quite soundly.  Someone, My guess is Livy herself, discovered that
the black woman whom they had hired was quite accustomed to a good bit of
gin.  I loved the story and embarrassed myself by telling it at an entrance
tea held at  my perspective college, not knowing the dean was present.  She
laughed and was good-natured about the whole incident, but my mother wanted
to kill me.
Camy