From:
"J.Dean" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 2008 12:33:03 -0600
Yes, I appreciate the original illustrations, too.  I have a facsimile
first edition with Williams' illustrations.  That is a beautiful
layout, especially the artwork incorporating the first word in each
chapter.  He's the only illustrator who got the fence to match Twain's
words (horizontal boards instead of verticle, although he used both,
admittedly).  I know that Twain and his wife paid attention to the
illustrations used in his books.  I believe she even made them stop a
printing run to remove an illustration she didn't approve of in one of
his books (Huck?, Roughing It?).  But ever since we visited Hannibal
and saw the original paintings and sketches done for this edition, I've
had a soft spot for Rockwell's illustrations.  I've also enjoyed the
chapter in his autobiography telling of his experiences going to
Hannibal to sketch for the drawings ....... visiting Twain's home,
church, the cave, etc., to get the feel of the place.  He claimed to be
the first illustrator to have been to Hannibal to see the actual places
where the story was set before doing his artwork.  I like Rockwell's
work for Tom Sawyer, but feel he's a bit whimsical for Huck.

I like Thomas Hart Benton's illustrations of that story (besides the
originals, of course).  He's my favorite for Life on the Mississippi,
too.  I understand that Benton illustrated Tom Sawyer, but I've never
been able to track down a copy of that Sawyer edition.   Given the fact
that Benton was from Missouri, I think he captured the atmosphere of
the setting, and compliments Twain's words well.

My original question, of course, was not really about illustrators
(although I'd really like to read any comments anyone might have on
that subject), but why the switching back and forth on the title page
of the author's name?  Why "Twain" on some print runs, and "Clemens" on
others?  I was just wondering what would make them go to the trouble to
change that, when the rest of the book seems identical (except in size
and cover material, in some cases)?

By the way, thanks for the reply.

Jerry