From:
Richard Reineccius <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Reineccius <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Feb 2012 07:43:07 -0800
Mark Tw
Don't forget to celebrate SIMPLIFIED SPELLING DAY on MARCH 11!

Mark Twain was partly responsible, according to About...
Q: Was Twain already using NewSpell? Had he already invented it when he was compiling The New Pilgrims' Progress in San Francisco in 1868? I've been scanning my copy for old spelling and am so far coming up empty.

   Current Urban Rumo(u)r has San Francisco's Twitter forcing the shortening of words to fit long thoughts, but it still spells its name with an extra t -- T..TT.., no?  Do I care if someone leaves one out? Should there be a law?

From New Pilgrims' Chapter X: "Now doctor, don't you come bothering around me with that dictionary bosh. I don' do you any harm, do I? Then you let ME alone."

(Incidentally, I love Jane Jacobs' into to my Modern Library Classics edition of PP/Innocents Abroad)
-Richard R - North California

====================

Here's the ABOUT piece:
====================

1906 - Teddy Roosevelt Simplifies Spelling
By Jennifer Rosenberg, About.com Guide

> 1900s
Portrait of U.S. President Theodore Roosevelt.Picture courtesy the U.S. National Archives and Records Administration.

Teddy Roosevelt Simplifies Spelling (1906):
    In 1906, Andrew Carnegie was convinced that English could be a universal language used around the world, if only English was easier to read and to write. In an
attempt to tackle this problem, Carnegie decided to fund a group of intellectuals to discuss this issue. The result was the Simplified Spelling Board.
   The
 Simplified Spelling Board was founded on March 11, 1906 in New York.
Included among the Board's original 26 members were such notables as author Samuel Clemens ("Mark Twain"), library organizer Melvil Dewey, U.S. Supreme Court Justice David Brewer, publisher Henry Holt, and former U.S. Secretary of the Treasury Lyman Gage.  Brander Matthews, professor of dramatic literature at Columbia University, was made
chairman of the Board.
   The Board examined the history of the English language and found that written
 English had changed over the centuries, sometimes for the better but
also sometimes for the worse. The Board wanted to make written English phonetic again, as it was long ago, before silent letters such as
 "e" (as in "axe"), "h" (as in "ghost"), "w" (as in "answer"), and "b"
(as in "debt") crept in. However, silent letters were not the only aspect of spelling that  bothered these gentlemen.
   There were other commonly used words that were just more complex than they needed to be. For instance, the word "bureau" could much more easily be spelled if it was written as "buro." The word "enough" would be spelled more phonetically as "enuf," just as "though" could be simplified to "tho." And, of course, why have a "ph" combination in "phantasy" when it could much more easily be spelled "fantasy."
   Lastly,
 the Board recognized that there were a number of words for which there
already were several options for spelling, usually one simple and the
other complicated. Many of these examples are currently known as differences between American and British English, including "honor" instead
 of "honour," "center" instead of "centre," and "plow" instead of
"plough." Additional words also had multiple choices for spelling such as "rime" rather than "rhyme" and "blest" rather than "blessed."
   So
 as not to overwhelm the country with an entire new way of spelling at
once, the Board recognized that some of these changes should be made over
 time. To focus their push for adaptation of new spelling rules, the
Board created a list of 300 words whose spelling could be changed immediately.
   The idea of simplified spelling caught on quickly, with even some schools beginning to implement the 300-word list within months of it being created. As the excitement grew around simplified spelling, one person in particular became a huge fan of the concept - President Teddy Roosevelt.
   Unbeknownst to the Simplified Spelling Board, President Theodore Roosevelt sent a letter to the United States Government Printing Office on August 27, 1906. In this letter, Roosevelt ordered the Government Printing Office to use the new spellings of the 300 words detailed in the Simplified Spelling Board's circular in all documents emanating from the executive department. President Roosevelt's public acceptance of simplified spelling caused a wave of reaction. Although there was public support in a few quarters, most of it was negative. Many newspapers began to ridicule the movement and lambasted the President in political cartoons. Congress was
especially
 offended at the change, most likely because they had not been
consulted. On December 13, 1906, the House of Representatives passed a resolution stating that it would use the spelling found in most ictionaries and not the new, simplified spelling in all official documents. With public sentiment against him, Roosevelt decided to rescind his order to the Government Printing Office.
   The efforts of the Simplified Spelling Board continued for several more years,
 but the popularity of the idea had waned after Roosevelt's failed
attempt at government support. However, when browsing the list of 300 words, one cannot help but notice how many of the "new" spellings are in current use today.

Suggested Reading (on About.com - which is a New York Times division/service)
    * 1900s Timeline
& Related Articles