Sender:
Mark Twain Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 2014 16:42:58 -0500
From:
"Wiener, Tom" <[log in to unmask]>
To: Kevin Bochynski <[log in to unmask]>
To the Mark Twain Forum:
In response to the recent review in the Mark Twain Forum, we, the writer and editor of the recently published book Mark Twain's America, wish to acknowledge the serious nature of the comments regarding copyright infringement. We have sent a letter to Kent Rasmussen expressing our regret that his book was mistakenly omitted from our Bibliography and Acknowledgements. However, we did not use David K. Williams' Before Our Very Eyes as a source: rather, we relied upon a website which predates Williams' work by four years. Our publisher has agreed to acknowledge this site and Kent Rasmussen's important contribution to our chronologies in the forthcoming e-book, and in all future editions of Mark Twain's America.
Regarding factual errors, we deeply appreciate their being pointed out. We are generalist scholars and writers, but, like everyone on the Forum, we seek to be as accurate as possible in our work. We will rectify errors or omissions in forthcoming editions of the book.
The review's pointed criticisms speak to a deep passion for Twain, a passion we all share. Our book was intended to celebrate Mark Twain's artistry as well as demonstrate the context in which that artistry flourished. We will be deeply grateful for your understanding in this matter, as we move forward to make our Twain book the very best it can be.
Sincerely yours,
Harry L. Katz
Tom Wiener