From:
Peg Wherry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 14:31:38 -0600
A couple of years ago I was introduced to the concept of "ego-surfing."
The organization I work for (obviously NOT an English dept) had hired a
web marketing consultant whose wife was a free-lance writer. He said she
regularly searches the internet not only for references to her but for
uses of her work. She identifies a unique string of words in something
she's written and searches on that, and has actually found plagiarism of
her work. Imitation may be a sincere form of flattery, but we know how Sam
felt about protecting one's work. - Peg Wherry, Weber State University