From:
Kathy O'Connell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Sep 1998 10:03:38 EDT
Hal (et al)--

        For my nickel (I'm a film critic, among other things, so I haven't
had to pay
for a movie in about 25 years, so I have no idea what it costs these days),
the most unlikely but surprisingly faithful film is THE ADVENTURES OF MARK
TWAIN, a 1985 Claymation film that was dumped into theaters as a kids'
thing.
        It offers a surprisingly thorough overview of the Clemens canon and
also
doesn't shy away from addressing the darker side of SLC's personality. It's
little hokey in spots, but it has a lovely sense of whimsy, coupled with
real
respect for who Clemens was and the work he produced.
        I also have a soft spot for the 1936 Michael Curtiz adaptation of
AHF, but
the book is so much better...

Kathy O'Connell
Hartford Advocate