From:
"J.Dean" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 2008 17:44:10 -0600
On Mar 4, 2008, at 3:43 PM, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Kent_Rasmussen?= wrote:

> On another matter, Jerry suggests that Norman Rockwell was the only
> artist
> to depict the whitewashed fence accurately. I’m not sure this is
> correct.
> Aside from the fact that Rockwell’s illustration doesn’t match the
> book’s
> description of a fence nine feet high and thirty yards long (of course,
> Henry Sweets has argued that those dimensions existed only in Tom’s
> imagination), other illustrators (including Donald McKay) have
> depicted the
> fence with vertical boards.

The claim that Rockwell was the only illustrator to visit Hannibal was
a mistake, if I wrote it that way.  Rockwell claimed in his book "My
Adventures as an Illustrator" that he was the first one to visit, I
believe.  That would have been up until '35, of course.

The illustrator I thought got the fence right was Williams, not
Rockwell.  To be faithful to Twain's words, the fence would have to be
made of horizontal boards, not vertical boards as are usually depicted
(the fence now at Twain's boyhood home has vertical boards).  I'm
basing that on the Chap. 2 sentence that comes right after the "Thirty
yards of board fence nine feet high" that you mentioned.  Tom "dipped
his brush and passed it along the top-most plank".  Now that seems to
say that there are planks that are on top, and planks that are below
them.  In order for that to be the case, the boards would have to run
horizontally, otherwise a plank would run from top to bottom, and could
not be described as being "top-most".  At least that's the way I read
it.  True Williams shows the fence around Tom's house in some places as
having horizontal boards (with space between each row of planks like
the fence around a Kentucky horse farm), and at other places as being
the more commonly seen vertical arrangement (as where Tom is shown
climbing over the fence to escape Aunt Polly).  The fence is not
depicted as being nine feet high, though, unless Tom was a 7 footer.

I was very interested in your explanation of the Clemens - Twain name
changes.  I'm sure you're right.  I suppose there was a reason for the
change something like you described.  In the case of Heritage, I was
under the impression that they started out using the name Mark Twain
when the books came out in the 30s, switched to Samuel L. Clemens in
the mid 40s, and then went back to Mark Twain.  That's only a guess
(based on the fact that one of my "Clemens" editions has a notice that
the book followed the law requiring reprints during the war to use less
paper than the original ....... the book was made smaller by reducing
the margins, but otherwise is the same).  No printing year is in any of
these books, although I've seen printing years in other Heritage
books).  Despite changing the author's name from Twain to Clemens (and
back?), their introduction never changed, and refers to both Clemens
(early in his life) and later the name Twain is used.

I believe this book is still in print and is sold at both the Mark
Twain House and the Boyhood Home (or it was a few years ago).  I don't
know what author's name is being used now.

Jerry