Kevin Mac Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 27 Jan 2015 06:28:45 -0600
That's great. Thanks.

So, for the bar tab story we have two named sources and an anonymous source
who told it as a true story, but there is no evidence that any of those
three ever knew Twain or met him. We have one fellow who recalls that he
told the story as a prank (and he's named by one of the three
aforementioned). And none of the people who actually knew Twain in Nevada
(and there were many of them and they left behind a pile of books, letters,
and interviews) ever told the story.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books
9307 Glenlake Drive
Austin TX 78730
512-345-4139
Member: ABAA, ILAB
*************************
You may browse our books at:
www.macdonnellrarebooks.com

-----Original Message-----
From: James Caron
Sent: Monday, January 26, 2015 11:33 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: That bar tab story

That quote is from

SF Examiner, 22 April 1910, p.2, under the heading "Recollections of His
Life Here."

Page 2 features a boxed space (amid columns full of stories about SLC) that
recounts anecdotes told by "veteran newspaper men...yesterday."
Page 3 has a reminiscence by Joe Goodman.

Apparently, there was a yarning session as the paper prepared for its
tribute to Sam in which someone recalled Alf Doten telling the original
yarn.
How's that for an oral tradition?