From:
JIM LEONARD <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 25 Jun 1999 23:59:12 -0700
Hello,

Is anyone familiar with a relationship between Clara Clemens and a young

pianist named  Charles E. "Will" Wark?

In "Mark Twain: God's Fool", by Professor Hamlin Hill, Mr Wark
is referred too as Clara Clemen's 'fiance' in the "New York Times".

Wark travelled with Clara Clemens during a European concert tour in
1907. There was a trace of scandal in their relationship apparently.

I'am trying to trace the history of this Mr Wark since he is a long lost

'black sheep' member of our family. The Twain Library have some letters
sent from "Will" Wark and Clara to Samuel Clemens. I've also found a few

lukewarm reviews of their tour in the English newspapers.

Thanks very much for any information or research sources.

Jim Leonard
Peterborough, Ontario, Canada.