From:
Taylor Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jul 1992 21:17:18 EDT
David: Thanks for the info on the availability of Paine's _Biography_.
I had only checked the North American Books In Print, which may explain
why I don't remember being able to find it there.

To answer an earlier question: I don't believe anyone here has yet
posted the source for Quayle's suspect quotation of Twain.  I too would
be interested to know, though.

Finally, that's unusual that you can't send mail directly to TWAIN-L,
yet you can reply to a TWAIN-L message and thus get your posting through
to the Forum.  It sounds to me like perhaps the CAN'T SEND message is
coming from your system, rather than from LISTSERV@YORKVM1, though.  Can
you confirm this?  If it is indeed your own system that's giving you the
error, you'll have to seek help at your end, since unfortunately I can't
tell from here what might be wrong.  Every system has its own
idiosyncrasies, as I'm sure you know.  When you reply to a message,
there's no problem because your system can read the original mail header
to decode the correct address.  When you try to send directly to
TWAIN-L@YORKVM1, though, it might be unable to do this because you have
to specify an intermediate node.  The technical people at your end
should be able to let you know if this is indeed the case.

Fortunately, I don't have this kind of problem at York, so I haven't had
to worry about addresses with exclamation points in them.  I suggest you
look at the original "REPLY-TO" field in the original message for a clue
as to how your system interprets the Forum's e-mail address, and then
try sending directly to that address if it's different from simply
TWAIN-L.

However, if the CAN'T SEND message _did_ come from LISTSERV@YORKVM1,
please let me know and I'll investigate further.

Regards,
Taylor