From:
"B.A. Van Der Wel" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Dec 2007 23:41:04 -0800

Dear Mr. Fears,

Thank you for your considered response. I see no reason why you can't
stand by your opinion and why I might regard it as a sweeping
generalization. There seems to be a vast amount of room here and no
one's breaking any furniture or checking their stock of fulminating
cotton. However, your response did bring up some things for me to
think about and I've done so with an eye towards greater
understanding of the differences expressed here.

You ask "But, to the point, if the future of our society rests in our
children, should not those who guide them be among the highest paid
servants?"

Boy-howdy, but do I want to go back in time and hear Mr. Twain answer
this one! He might seize a word here and humorously entertain the
contrasting idea of having the servants educate one's children
instead of a more professional class or someone at least not bound or
otherwise in any way indentured to service. He valued his Oxford
honors highly but might have been less impressed with the place if
he'd been given his robes by the night porter.

In my own thinking, I can't hardly argue with the obvious answers to
your questions, those being summed up, if you will permit me, as yes,
we need to place education in a much greater and vital place in all
of society.

But when it comes down to money I am not sure sure that humans in
general and Americans in particular initially respond with anything
more sincere than avarice to the siren call of high salaries. And
that avarice can be put into service in a variety of disguises, such
as some that carry the title of full Professor and sit on a chair
with another man's name attached and funding it. One of the things
about service is that it requires some sacrifice of one's individual
desires. Knowing one will be very well paid often attracts the less
than honest among us. Of course, a general across-the-board national
raising of all teacher's salaries would be a great thing instead of
continuing to fund expensive wars. But I'm not quite convinced that
simply raising the payscale will attract the kind of people best
suited to teaching young people, to foster "the ability to think" as
you say.

As long as we have a profit motive central to the soul of our society
I do not think that education, outside the vocational and functionary
trades such as business, law and accounting, will ever have the
generous funding to pursue the widespread of life of the mind that
seems not only desirable but also essential to human nature. (Perhaps
essential to its very survival.)

To be sure this country has produced exceptional thinkers and
scholars (I think one or two might be on this forum) and will
continue to do so. But as long as the "bidness of American is
bidness," we're going to have a hard time making sure people
understand the value of teaching let alone paying the teachers well.
This forum is, at least, a splendid reminder and ongoing discussion
of the value of literature and the teaching of it.

Thank you also for your hopes for my understanding of your occasional
role as a provocateur. I can hardly think of a role in literature and
writing that is more traditional or essential to keeping the mind
alive and well. For my replying you are welcome and I hope my
opinions won't get me into much trouble.

One last thing. You state "An educated populace is vital to preserve
and renew democracy." Of course and I don't know many here that would
disagree. However, I'm not convinced the current corporate funding of
education and name-branding of halls, athletic facilities and
impressive university erections (usually the "bidness" or law
schools) actually wants an educated populace so much as a -trained-
one. (I think Mr. Twain would have spotted this howler early on and
been very suspicious of so many "benevolent" enterprises setting up
shop on campus.) Goodness knows that a freethinking populace might
find something wrong with the status quo and if they remember they
can vote it might not turn out so well for "Engulf & DeVour Inc.,"
the current masters of the capitalist universe who also like to
publish books as long as they sell very, very well.

I look forward to hearing what you or anyone has to say on this forum
and remain until then

Yours cordially,
Benjamin van der Wel