Sender:
From:
MARK DAWIDZIAK <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jan 2015 15:33:56 -0800
Reporting from the Ohio delegation: I have yet to find them billed that way for any of the eight Buckeye State stops on the tour: Toledo, Cleveland, Dayton, Hamilton, Cincinnati, Columbus, Delaware, and Oberlin. There are many newspaper announcements and reviews for most of these stops (and even some letters to the editor). The billing doesn't even appear in a January 1938 "Ohio State Archaeological and Historical Quarterly" article that focuses on the intriguing response to the Oberlin appearance (where the audience seemingly preferred Cable to Clemens). The article, by Russel B. Nye, was published about 15 years before Cardwell's book. Twain wrote letters at steady rate throughout the tour, as did Cable. Has anyone yet found one of them using this "Twins of Genius" phrase? Just asking, because I haven't.