From:
Paul Schullery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2012 15:17:21 -0600
Some Mark Twain Forum member who has charge of a few sharp and
enterprising graduate students ought to turn one of them loose on a study
of these bogus and dubious "Mark Twain quotes." Even a light content
analysis would be revealing of how we have defined and shaped our idea of
Mark Twain and his wisdom through these fictionalized representations. And
I imagine that the creation of phony Twainisms has probably accelerated
wildly since the popularization of the web.

Judging from the number of us who have responded to this question about
these alleged quotations, it appears that there is a healthy amount of
curiosity about what he did and did not say; a good study of this subject,
even a small book, would perform a real service.

I was recently given a refrigerator magnet, which I was told was sold at
the Mark Twain House in Hartford. The magnet featured a supposed Mark
Twain quotation, "Denial ain't just a river in Egypt." I must admit, this
sounds spurious to me. I didn't know that "denial" in its modern pop-psych
meaning was all that common 100 years ago. But that is why the whole issue
needs study; how are we to know if a quotation is real or not?

Paul Schullery