Thu, 18 May 2000 22:22:30 -0500
    A little bit of good news from the Hannibal front to get an honest portrayal of slavery.  The boyhood home now has a mention of slavery in the Clemens' home itself with an indication that the Clemens possessed slaves. It is indicated in the narrative that a slave would have most likely slept in the kitchen.  After a century of deafening silence we have a small victory for historic truth.  Special thanks to Shelley Fisher Fishkin and to everyone who has spoken up on the issue. Though the white-washing of slavery continues in the museum, we at least have a beginning .  Slavery is something northeast Missouri has worked hard to forget and there is much work to do.  Now that the Mark Twain Boyhood Home Foundation has acquired the Hawkins' house, it will be interesting to see how they address slavery there. I will keep you posted.   Terrell Dempsey