From:
Mary Lou Caskey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 1996 09:27:55 -0400
Friends-
   I seem to remember a Twain quote that I can paraphrase as follows-
"If a man has his head in the oven and his feet in the freezer, his
aaverage temperature is in normal but he is very uncomfortable.

That is not the exact words but it conveys the point he was making
about statistics and averages. The only thing I find in quotation
books under statistics is "There are lies, damn lies, and then there are
statistics."

  I would be most grateful if someone couldgtive me the correct wording
and the source or point me to them. Thank you very much.

Mary Lou Caskey