Date:
Mon, 13 Feb 2023 12:53:35 -0500
Is ia fascinating to consider tricksterness linguistically. Ness- being
a suffex that signifies essence and identity. Like Nessie, however,
tricksters tend to subvert nesses and their implied anchorings.

Societies, though, have set ways. They depend on those anchorings. The
more set, the more legalistic and fixed the relationship between
signifierr and signified.

A good example is when you are lazying around on a raft and behold, far
across a stretch of river, an axe bite into a log, and not until a good
while later do you hear the thunk.

With that looseness between signifier and signified, tricksters enact
acts of deviance that call those societies categories into question.

Like babbling children, who are just in the infancy of becoming
enculturated, tricksters are often more driven by drives and urges. They
are models of resistance to the status quo. Linguistically, the dialects
Twanin's characters mouthed, were tricksterly.

Twain's bold act of linguistic deviance helped Huck Finn to be
recognized as the first American novel.

When, in literature, I encounter such acts of deviance, I find Julia
Kristeva's work illuminating.