From:
Kevin Mac Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Mar 2011 11:18:58 -0500
He used it in A Tramp Abroad and Life on the Mississippi, and in a letter in
1875.  OED cites earliest use as 1883.

See Ramsay & Emberson, A MARK TWAIN LEXICON (1938, rep 1963).

They list 7,802 words, of which 4,342 are apparently new words invented by
Mark Twain.

They checked their entries against OED, Webster, etc. It's a complicated
subject but you can read their 119pp. introduction to get a good idea of
their approach and how to treat their results.

With so many new Mark Twain works appearing since 1938, it's time for a
revised edition of this extremely useful but outdated work, and it seems to
me the perfect sort of project for an online database. Any lexicographers
lurking out there?

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books