From:
Robert STEWART <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert STEWART <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Nov 2016 01:10:46 +0000
And Hurray, your Splendid Orchestra ad is in the Daily Alta California of October 1, 1866, page 4, col. 3. Also on cdnc.ucr.edu

    On Saturday, November 12, 2016 7:39 AM, Kevin Mac Donnell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

 I would urge caution. It's quite possible posters were made with this
wording, but I don't know of any that survive. Fatout says "huge posters"
were plastered all over, but cites no source. That isn't to say he didn't
have a source, but I should like to know it. Paine merely says
"advertisements" and what Paine cites appeared in a newspaper, which could
also have appeared as a handbill. I only make this distinction because
posters were not cheap to produce and print, unlike handbills which are much
less trouble and cost far less. Without a source or a surviving example, you
could give birth to a bibliographical ghost. A small poster published in San
Francisco in 1868 does have jokey wording, but not what Paine or Fatout
cite. There are still other posters and handbills known, but none that I've
seen with that wording. I'd love to know of one.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books
9307 Glenlake Drive