From:
Wesley Britton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 22:46:21 -0500
As Judge Judy frequently says, if you tell one falsehood, the rest of your
testimony can be discounted.  The book you suggest is one that's been
controversial long enough to discount it as "definitive."  It might be one
to refer to for some information, but it shouldn't be first on the list of
books reccommended for readers who might not know some of the material is
speculative, not biography. That's precisely the situation with many other
biographies which have one thesis or another that these books are built
around.  Twain's life, like his works, has always been presented through the
eyes of the beholder.  So I second the suggestion regarding the
introductions and notes to the UCal editions--just the facts.