From:
michael j kiskis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Sep 2001 10:08:44 -0400
I think that we should be very careful about how we work up interpretations of
Clemens' comments to fit our own needs.  Any literary text can be molded to
answer a specific need for solace or support.  It is possible, for example, to
read this passage as an indictment of US policy over the years.  Clemens was
writing to make us think and be more skeptical of power and the interpretations
of events handed to us by the powerful -- whether that means the political
establishment or the general custom of a people or community.  While our
collective outrage and hurt are clearly justified, I would hope that we read
and teach to help both ourselves and our students become more reflective of our
nation's place in a world that is very complicated.  To oversimplify the coming
storm will increase the sadness and pain in all our lives.  Peace also calls
for valor and strength of will.