From:
Matthew Seybold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2018 09:09:34 -0400
FYI

1.) Twain is represented on the list, by Tom Sawyer, and no author is represented by more than one work. If they were, I imagine Huck would’ve been included. So the question is really about the superiority of Huck Finn over Tom Sawyer as “America’s Best-Loved Novel.”

2.) The 100 novels were chosen, according to PBS, via “a demographically representative national survey conducted by YouGov.” I haven’t looked at the details of how the survey was conducted, but protesting Huckleberry Finn’s exclusion is tantamount to protesting the poor taste of the American populace. I mean, E. L. James is on this list and Henry James is not. The Notebook is in, but not The Scarlet Letter. I don’t think PBS is making any claims about quality, historical influence, etc. It is about what Americans are actually reading in 2018.